Moroccan Harissa Chicken
Recipes inspired by the traditional Moroccan Chicken. It is a chicken poached in a tomato and harissa sauce.
What you need:
Chicken whole leg 2 pieces
Galanggal's Harissa Sauce
1 cup tomato juice (Home made is better or you can also use Tomato passata or Tomato Puree)
10 pieces dried apricots
A handful of raisin (optional)
2-3 big onions
5-10 garlic cloves
1. Rub 2 tbsp of Galanggal's Harissa all over chicken. Put it aside.
2. Unpeel and slice 2-3 big onions.
3. Smash and chop 5-10 garlic cloves.
4. Preheat the pan. Oil the pan up.
5. Put the chicken into the pan. Pan seared the chicken until a browned crust forms.
6. Add onions and garlic. Stir & fry until onions are crispy golden brown.
7. Transfer the chicken (leave the onions) into a plate and let it rest while you are making the tomato sauce.
Add 1 cup of tomato juice and 5 tbsp of harissa sauce in the pan, cooked well with onions and garlic.
Note: If using fresh tomato juice/ passata - do not add water. If using tomato puree - add 100ml water & let it thicken before adding harissa.
9. Add chicken with tomato juice well. Mix well and add apricots and raisin. Cover with a lid and slow cook for 15 to 30 minutes.
10. Finish off with handful of chopped parsley and serve! (I don't have parsley, so I'm using basil)